Friday, December 5, 2014

A Trillion?

I have read a trillion books, so it always delights me when a book intrigues me.

There is a certain predictability to stories. As different as each is, there are threads that run through them that unite them.

Subtle for the most part because the books I typically choose are more demanding than every day tripe.

Still that commonality exists, however thin, however non-transparent.

"The Fountainhead" intrigues the hell out of me.

On one level, it feels like subliminal advertising. Ayn Rand's theory of Objectivism twists throughout the plot. But since I am not yet well versed on exactly what that philosophy is, I feel it gently nudging up against my mind instead of bashing its way through my skull.

On another level, from the standpoint of just digging on the characters and the plot, nothing is predictable. Relationships between characters surprise me, things that they do amaze me, the things they say challenge me, twists and turns abound.

And the story keeps manipulating my emotions.

I have no idea where this book is headed. And I am 583 pages in.

What a delightful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment