Thursday, April 16, 2015

And Yet Another Surprise

Chillin' last night, flappin' around the TV dial.

Landed on Palladia. The Rock "n Roll Hall of Fame Induction from 2014.

Nirvana.

99% of the time when I randomly come across Palladia I find something I love.

And yet I don't seek it out. I don't understand that.

In my life, I don't understand the things that I focus on. I don't understand the things that I don't focus on.

Those two comments pretty much summarize my life.

Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic gave their talks, and then the music began.

Kurt Cobain is dead. I don't know if you know that, but his being dead makes it tough for the remaining members of Nirvana to regroup meaningfully.

They cranked it up and out came Joan Jett to sing "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

A bit of a curve, no?

She knocked it out of the park. At first I thought she was a bit raw, over reaching a bit, but she settled into it and throated it out.

Raw and wild.

Next up was Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth singing "Aneursym."

She was really raw. Her emotion knocked her to the floor at one point, kind of old school, kind of dramatic but really cool.

Next up was Annie Clark from the group St. Vincent. If you want to enlarge your life, really shake it up and around, seek out a video on..................The Colbert Report believe it or not, from November of 2012 featuring David Byrne and St. Vincent performing "Who."

Goddamn it, this song is the funkiest, most interesting, multi levelled and multi-layered song I have heard in the last 150 years. There are many versions out there but in my humble opinion this performance is the funkiest by far.

I love it and it loves me.

I replayed it a thousand times after I first heard it.

But I digress.

Annie Clark came out at the HOF ceremony honoring Nirvana and sang "Lithium."

Rocked it.

Then Lorde shambled out to sing "All Apologies." Rocked it uniquely.

This amazing testosterone fueled band chose four women to come out and  ghost for Kurt Cobain.

I found that inspired and amazing.

It was like Nirvana was continuing their ground breaking approach to music into 2014. Staying true to their unique spirit. Flipping off the music industry and anyone who wants to stereotype them by expressing their music in whatever way they choose.

And the ladies delivered.

Lorde was the last to sing and she was backed by Pat Smear (look him up), Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Kim Gordon, Joan Jett and Annie Clark.

I tell you man, I was settled in my recliner, aging rapidly, exhaling contentedly, sucking these performances into my soul like the ultimate soul nourishment, and I ain't talking soul-lite here.

I have an intimate relationship with the remote. It surprises and pleases me at the most random and most needed moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment