Saturday, April 18, 2015

Trash & Introspection

Just took a trip to the dump.

Had some revelations.

I live in a college town. See a lot of youth.

Passed a couple walking down the street on this so far beautiful April day. Young girl/woman wearing shorts, young boy/man wearing a T-shirt and jeans. His arm draped over her shoulder.

The future making its way innocently down the road.

Those two embodied everything about hope and potential, wonder, anticipation and reality. The normal wreckage of an average life is off in the distance and hopefully is a nightmare they won't experience.

Let's face it - in another year they probably won't be together.

But for now, for now their reality is simple and suggests the reality most of us had at some point.

Love in whatever way, shape and form it takes for them at this moment. Attending college, planning for a future, enjoying the freedom that comes with higher education.

College life gives you a taste of life in a precise way. Suddenly there is no one telling you what to do, no one commanding and controlling you. You decide to be responsible or not, and deal with the consequences and rewards. You find out what you are made of; you find out if you have made the right choice and if not, hopefully, you change things before you are sweating out the last five years of your career praying to find a way to retire.

It is a cushy situation though; college life is not reality. It offers a glimpse of reality from a privileged perspective.

Reality is graduating high school and taking a job in a warehouse. Learning to hate your job and despise your boss. 

I went to college and drank and played pinball. It did not serve me well but I laughed a lot.

On the way to the dump, seeing this couple from behind, I assigned noble intentions to the lad. On the way back I noticed the girl/woman was wearing a low cut halter top type thing to complement her shorts.

Hopefully the lad has some willpower. Unless all they want is a torrid sexual relationship, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not a bad idea to experience fiery passion before it is beaten and bored out of you.

Went to market after visiting the dump. Needed ingredients for the maximum hot dog casserole I am cooking tonight.

I am trying to eat healthier.

Popped into The Peace Mobile (Carol allowed me to borrow her vehicle) out of the market and heard "Another Brick In The Wall." Pink Floyd.

"Hey - teacher - leave those kids alone."

It occurred to me that those words are deeply meaningful on many levels.

Teachers ruining spontaneity, curiosity and love of life in children. Parents instilling hatred and prejudice and fear into their kids' souls.

There has to be a new way, some middle ground of dispensing knowledge that will free up children's minds to be open to tolerance and understanding and love.

No I did not just smoke a joint.

Finally as I pulled into my driveway I was listening to "Rosalita." Springsteen and the boys.

"Now, I know your mama, she don't like me 'cause I play in a rock 'n roll band, and I know your daddy, he don't dig me, but he never did understand.................................................
and your papa says he knows that I don't have any money, your papa says he knows that I don't have any money, oh your daddy says he knows that i don't have any money, well tell him this is his last chance to get his daughter in a fine romance, 'cause a record company, Rosie, just gave me a big advance."

That is the ultimate rock 'n roll screw you.

And youthful hope and dream and potential and good luck.

Took a ride to the dump. Saw some people, heard some music.

Got me thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment