Saturday, January 23, 2016

Setting The Record Straight

I was rambling a bit about Viktor Frankl yesterday.

I get that way. When I come across something that excites and/or inspires me I start moving at 375 mph into emotional and introspective oblivion.

I am not sure that sentence even makes sense but I like the way it sounds.

What blew me away about the guy, and what was so evident in the video, is how positive he is. In 4 short minutes he displayed a sense of humor a couple of times. Got the audience to laugh. Got me to laugh.

This is a guy who spent three years in concentration camps. A guy whose parents, brother and pregnant wife were killed in concentration camps.

It is not surprising that he would be interested in exploring the meaning of life. You would have to wonder what the hell it is all about after experiencing the human to human horror that he experienced.

What fascinates me is that he does it with a sense of humor and an air of positivity.

Talk about the triumph of the human spirit. That is the ultimate example.

I expect to learn a lot from this man.

That's where I was coming from yesterday. Thinking about Viktor Frankl's strength, his intelligence, his willingness to pass on to others the  lessons he has learned from the harshest circumstances life has to offer.

His sense of humor.

I love the way he latched onto Goethe's quote, the fact that it means something to him. Advancing the concept that if you treat another human being as if they are capable of being more than they are, they will become more than they are.

The exact opposite of what Frankl experienced in Nazi Germany, where humans were treated like less than animals, as meaningless life forms deserving of nothing more than extinction.

That's where I was coming from yesterday. I am also wondering where this new found knowledge and wisdom will lead me, once I get to digging in.

That's all.

I just wanted to set the record straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment