Friday, January 15, 2016

Words To Live By

"There was a student just the other day, who said that my problem, if one's nature is a problem, rather than just problematic, is that I see things in terms of victory or death, and not just victory but total victory. And it's true: I always have. It's either victory or don't bother. The only thing worth doing is the impossible. Everything else is grey. You're born as a man with the nerves of a soldier, the apprehension of an angel, to lift a phrase, but there is no use for it. Here? Where's the use for it? You're set up to be a philosopher or a king or Shakespeare, and this is all they give you? Twenty odd years of school which is all instruction in how to be ordinary..........or they'll fucking kill you, they fucking will, and then it's a career, which is not the same thing as existence. I want unlimited things. I want everything. A real love. A real house. A real thing to do....every day. I'd rather die if I don't get it."

Mark Wahlberg as Jim Bennett in "The Gambler."

No comments:

Post a Comment