Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Dug In

So Zeke says: We're dug in, man - the wife and me - we're dug in.

Pete: I always dug Kevin Kline's line in The Big Chill. The one where he is describing his life. He says "We're dug in". Possibly one of the greatest movie lines ever.

Zeke: I'm not talking about that kind of dug in. I'm talking about me and the wife, the life we are stuck in, we're dug in and it ain't gonna end pretty.

Pete: Why not?

Zeke: We got nothing. A little social security. Enough to buy beer, cigarettes and cat food, but that's about it. And it's gonna get worse. Gonna get sick. Gonna have hospital bills. Shit, it's already happening, man.

Pete: That's a shame. Life's a bitch.

Zeke: I wish I planned ahead, know what I mean? Wish I had put a little somethin' away. But shit, man, there never was a little somethin' to put away. I don't know where the hell it went.

Pete: That's just the way life works. Sucks, but it's true. We're all in the same boat.

Zeke: Then what the hell's the point? Ain't no dignity to it. Shit, the only dignity I get is when I get in someone's face. Ain't gonna let someone shit all over me.

Pete: I know what you mean. Feels like some people are laughing at you. Lookin' down. Talking about their high dollar vacations. Fuckin' SUV's. Fuck them.

Zeke: Yeah, me and the wife are dug in. We're dug in good. And somebody took the fuckin' shovel away too, man. No way out. Doesn't really matter, my fuckin' back hurts all the time anyway.

Pete: I hear ya.

Zeke: You think dyin's a good deal? Seems like it makes more sense to skip right to the end instead of dealin' with the bullshit.

Pete: What the hell you talkin' about, man?

Zeke: Saw a Jack Lemmon movie once. He was pretty down so he hopped on an exercise bike and tried to ride himself into a heart attack. It was pretty funny.

Pete: You're crazy, man.

Zeke: Am I? Really?

Pete: You gotta stick around - see how the movie ends. You might hit the lottery.

Zeke: Ain't gonna hit no lottery, man. My life is not about luck. Trust me, it is fucking not about luck.

Pete: Well, I'm here for you, man. If you're gonna have any fun at all, it's gonna be with me.

Zeke: I dig that about you. Always have. What the fuck, why don't we run out and grab a 30 rack of Natty Lights, see how many we can put down in one day?

Pete: Now you're talking. Shit, if you're gonna die man, you might as well die drunk. Skip the fucking hangover. Now that's a plan.

Zeke: You're a fucking philosopher, man. I dig that about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment