Sunday, September 27, 2020

Been Meaning To Tell You About My Buddy Joe Burrow

 I did not watch the NFL draft this year. 

I did not watch the combine. I did not follow the coverage of any of this. I did not watch NFL coverage after the 2019 season ended.

I learned my lesson the year before. When the 2018 season ended I just kept on watching. Draft coverage. The combine. Personnel moves. It was a waste of time.

The only thing I enjoyed was having some knowledge of the draft. I was familiar with the names, the positions they played, who might draft them. That felt useful to me. I enjoyed knowing that.

I saw clips of this year's draft. The one that knocked me out was Joe Burrow. #1 pick of the NFL draft.

That is like being picked to replace God. 

When he got the news, Joe was at home. With his mom and dad. Sitting on the couch.

I thought that was spectacular.

Usually these guys are surrounded by their entourage. Family, friends, sycophants and supporters. Rowdiness is the order of the day. That night they probably go out and swill expensive booze and enjoy the company of expensive women.

Joe got hugs from his mom and dad. The two most influential people in his life. The two people who supported him emotionally and financially through everything for decades despite very long odds.

I don't think it gets any more meaningful than that. 

I think that's the way it should always be. Because from that point on Joe's life gets blown up. The biggest stage. Front and center. Lots of money. Lots of attention.

That moment with his parents may be the last real moment of his life. Devoid of hype; filled with love.

Spectacular.

This week in the NFL:

3 big games.

Today - PATS/Raiders. Big deal because I am a homer. 

Packers/Saints. Rodgers vs Brees. The dual of two gunslingers. One who is kicking ass; one who is being described as over the hill. Fun stuff.

Tomorrow night: Chiefs/Ravens. Are you fucking kidding me? This should be one of those games. The type of game you'll be talking about until after you die.

Sports is oxygen to me and every sports fan this year. For me, football is like a defibrillator to my battered heart.

It makes me feel alive; it fucking keeps me alive. I gotta have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment