Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Billy Crystal

What the fuck, man.

Used to be when I saw Billy Crystal on TV, being interviewed, I felt like he was a pretentious prick.

Not any more.

I recently read "Still Foolin' 'Em: Where I've Been, Where I'm Going, and Where The Hell Are My Keys?" Published in 2013 when Billy was 65.

He addressed aging in the book, and so much of what he said resonated with me. Especially as an aging man. The indignities of aging dressed up in his insightful sense of humor. I figured out that in writing he really makes me laugh. Out loud.

Better than medicine, baby.

Yesterday and today I read "700 Sundays", published in 2005. This is an autobiography dealing with his relationship with his father, which was deep and meaningful. Billy adapted the book to a Broadway play, which I truly wish I had seen. 

His father worked two jobs forever and had only Sundays to spend with his family. Hence the title.

Billy worshipped his father and worshipped his Sundays. His father died of a heart attack at the age of 54 at a bowling alley, where he and Billy's Mom used to go weekly and loved doing, because they had so much fun with their friends.

Billy was 15 years old.

This book is so insightful and so emotional. I shed a few tears. When his father died; much later when his mom died. Other times as well.

I smiled a lot at his memories of his extended family - dinners, celebrations etc.

His mom used to put on big dinners for his school friends. Baseball team, basketball team etc. My mom used to do the same thing. She had our sports teams over, she had the high school band over, because that is what me and Eddie were involved in.

I remember feeling very proud. My friends had no idea what they were getting into. Eating Italian, baby - course after course after course. My friends' eyes were wide. The food for the most part was home made and made with pride and love. They were blown away.

The book opens with a memory of his dad buying his first brand new car. His dad told the family to be out in front of the house at noon, when he would be returning home.

Boom. Instant memory for me. I remember standing on our second floor porch waiting for my dad to drive up in his brand new Cadillac or Mercedes. I don't remember if we did that for lesser cars that he owned, but I do remember feeling great pride to see my father driving these cars.

And he let me and Eddie drive them. Unbelievable. 

I remember driving my Dad's Cadillac to my junior prom with my girlfriend Janice. Beautiful fucking car - dark brown body, tan roof - I loved that car. I remember thinking I had been driving drunk for over a year at that point - driving a car that my father bought for me - and I didn't hesitate to drive his beautiful car while drunk.

Thankfully nothing bad happened.

"700 Sundays" resonated with me because you really get a feel for the closeness and quirkiness of Billy Crystal's family. And how that affected him. How it impacted his life.

My family used to have massive dinners for holidays and birthdays. I didn't appreciate them at the time. I would kill to sit down for dinner one more time like that.

My own family, me and Carol and the kids, used to have big get togethers many years ago. Not any more.

Time takes that away from you.

Great quote from Billy's grandfather when Billy's father died: "Time is a bastard: When you're sad there's too much of it, and when you're happy there's never enough."

That's all you really need to know about life.

The book is great because it gives you an honest and gritty feel for what family is all about. The good stuff, which makes up the majority, and the bad stuff.

I have read two books written by Billy Crystal and both have touched deep emotion in me.

Never be too quick to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment