Sunday, November 22, 2020

Thanksgiving Is Dead

2020. The gift that keeps on giving.

Carol and I agonized over this decision. Rationalized, lied to ourselves, hoped against hope.

Been talking it over for weeks. Trying to decide what to do. At one point I suggested we just forget about it. My heart was not into it. I was nervous. 

Carol cried.

She lives for Thanksgiving. Lives for it. When she gets up in the morning she is already happy. It is so obvious.  She works her ass off for hours until that meal hits the table. She has to steal minutes here and there to visit with Keith and Craig in the living room. And she still loves it.

When we all sit down to the table she is in her glory. Beaming in happiness and pride. And the meal is always perfect.

Broke my heart when she cried. Carol does not cry often. So I backed off.

I compromised by uninviting Eddie. My brother. That sucked. But we know he is not as diligent as us at protecting against the virus. Then I threw the ball in Keith's and Craig's court. Which was cowardly of me. I should have just made the decision I knew to be right. But Carol and I decided if either of them wanted to be here we would go ahead. Roll the fucking dice.

Fortunately they were both responsible and decided they didn't want to take the chance.

So there will be no Thanksgiving.

Eddie is going to the Fatalos'. Big defiant celebration in that house. A fuck you Thanksgiving. I actually hope someone there gets Covid. Not the kids. Never the kids. But one of the many trump loving adults in attendance - get sick and suffer a little. Don't die. I don't want death on my hands. All I want is a lesson taught. Arrogance punished.

Eddie is exempt. He is my brother. I love him. I could never wish him harm. I disagree with his politics - big time - and I do not respect his attitude towards Covid. But I love him and have enormous respect for him.

Carol's heart is broken. I am hurting. 

Keith was born in 1980. We have celebrated Thanksgiving as a family in one form or another since then. 39 years. Until now. This sucks, it hurts, it is not right, it is not natural.

By the way, this year Carol's birthday falls on Thanksgiving. That makes this situation even more painful.

I will try my best to make her happy on Thanksgiving. On her birthday.

But my heart will ache knowing the pain and disappointment in her heart.

1 comment:

  1. So gosh, let me try to figure out who you sound like. People disagree with you, so you attack them. People have different politics, so you attack them. And you wish them ill and hope they fall prey to the pandemic. Hmmm, let me see who you sound like. Wait...its coming to me. I've got it. You sound just like Donald Trump and his kids. The folks you profess to despise. But how like them you are. Spewing hatred and venom.
    Shame on you Joe Testa. Your parents are rolling over in their graves.
    You have a miserable life? You cannot blame anyone but yourself.
    You want to take from everyone but not be responsible for yourself. It’s always someone else’s fault.
    Grow up and stop blaming everyone else and the world for your life.
    And just to be clear, I would never wish any ill against you, Carol or the boys.
    But know now, you and I, you and Reida, you and my nephews and niece are no longer family. I will be VERY Italian here and make the sign of the cross, we are done.

    ReplyDelete