Friday, November 27, 2020

Thanksgiving Post Mortem

Not bad.

All things considered. Craig and Amanda swung by, which was a bonus. 

They were going to celebrate Thanksgiving in Henniker at a friend's house. So they called us and said since they were going to be in Henniker they would stop in (out) to see us. Turns out their plans fell through but they drove up anyway.

The ultimate Covid-19 Thanksgiving. On our screened-in porch. They showed up at 11:30. With Murray, who is so goddamn cute. I had picked up Dunkin Donuts pastries, Carol brewed coffee, and we sat around the table chowing and talking. It was 39 degrees.

But we dressed for it, and Carol and Amanda wrapped blankets around themselves. Surprisingly, it wasn't too bad. Which for me is saying a lot because I hate being cold.

They stuck around for an hour and a half, wished us a Happy Thanksgiving and Carol a Happy Birthday, then drove home to their own Thanksgiving. It really was a very nice visit.

I was keeping a close eye on Carol when they left. I was very tuned in to her emotions yesterday, but she was fine (as far as I know).

I promised her as part of her birthday present that she could binge-watch Law & Order all day and I would watch no football. I kept my promise. 

So we laid around lazily all day, except Carol did cook a magnificent pork roast with potatos and carrots. And she had baked a pecan pie (my favorite) the day before. So we ate very well. Very well.

Keith called around 8:00 and we had a great conversation. He celebrated Thanksgiving with Krista and Krista's roommate. They had themselves a fine meal and, I'm sure, shared good conversation and laughter.

We enjoyed our usual warm conversation with Keith and he signed off after wishing us a Happy Thanksgiving and Carol a Happy Birthday.

Later on we chowed pecan pie as we watched more Law & Order.

A holiday in pieces.

Could have been devastating for Carol but I think we all made the best of it.

I hope it never happens again.

No comments:

Post a Comment