Tuesday, August 3, 2021

A Beautiful Turn Of Phrase

Edge turns 60 on Sunday, August 8.

The Edge, Edge - however you want to refer to him. He is a personal friend of mine so I just call him Edge.

Phil Taggart - a DJ on U2-X radio on Sirius XM, in tribute - is sponsoring a kind of "Your favorite guitar god" kind of thing.

When he was talking about it yesterday he said to consider the people you admire who "took 6 strings and 21 frets and plugged them into God's amplifier."

Are you fucking kidding me?

If you are a lover of guitar virtuosi, that combination of words says it all.

I was not consciously aware that I am a lover of killer guitar until a guy I worked with in a warehouse years ago referred me to a song.

The Waterboys - The Return Of Jimi Hendrix.

He said to me "I know you love electric guitar, here is a song I know you will love." He picked up on that truth based on many conversations we had about music.

He was right.

So taking "6 strings, 21 frets and plugging them into God's amplifier" is a sentence that electrifies my soul.

Happy Birthday, Edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment