Monday, August 16, 2021

Healthier Brain Better Life

That is Prevagen's slogan.

They are right about that but I don't think popping a pill gives you a healthier brain.

The medical community in this country has devolved into one that operates out of fear and intimidation.

I despise them for this.

Way back in the way back I had a doctor who was about my age. A man. We had good conversations. He respected me, I respected him.

An aging man has to deal with pissing issues. Your "stream" gets weaker. You gotta deal with it.

In my fifties I had a conversation with the doc - he asked me if I found myself standing closer to the toilet. He was asking from a perspective of medical expertise and from the persepctive of his own experience.

I got a kick out of that. It was an honest question. Direct and to the point.

He retired and I was assigned a female doc who could have been a Navy seal. Everything about her was combative. She was always trying to prescribe more drugs, convince me to get flu shots blah blah blah. Always argiung with me, always using fear in an attempt to intimidate me into doing shit.

I dumped her, filed a complaint with the hospital, and was assigned another female doc.

This one was combative too. Her big thing was the fucking flu shot. She harassed me at every physical. I resisted. Finally she said to me: "You know, people your age die from the flu."

Are you fucking kidding me?

I asked her when the medical community decided that fear and intimidation was a valid approach to health. I broke her. Now she leaves me alone.

"Would you like a flu shot?" "Nope." "OK. Nice weather we're enjoying lately, huh?"

People are deeply fearful of Alzheimers. By the way there is no T in alzheimers. Wake the fuck up.

Prevagen plays to that fear. You will not forget your kids names if you swallow this pill.

I have been exercising my brain in 2021. Memorization seems to be the best way to go. I have memorized quite a bit of stuff. Lately I am working on memorizing Oscar Wilde's poem "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night."

Read the poem. First of all it is inspiring from the perspective of fighting back against the inevitability of dying. Secondly, it is not an easy poem to memorize. This is not exactly everyday speech, folks.

Memorization has helped me this year. My brain seems clearer, I feel like I am actually thinking from time to time, which is a novel approach for me.

I don't need no fucking pill. Although I would dearly love to ingest LSD and blow all the twisted, fearful, ill-informed cobwebs out of my brain. However - that is no longer a viable possibility - too many twisted demons in my head.

Work on your head. Try memorization. Read.

Eventually your efforts will fall short because life works inexorably to rob you of everything that you are.

At that point, take a pill. But not Prevagen. Fuck Prevagen.

Booze and pills and powders. There are a lot of options available to you that are a lot more fun than Prevagen.

Go out with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment