Thursday, July 11, 2013

DeLovely

I have a lovely and amazing wife.

Thirty five years we have been married. We are officially a couple. When you are together that long you develop a relationship rhythm, like a dance team.

We know each other's moves.

So when subtle changes occur you notice them immediately.

Lately Carol has taken to sleeping with a Defender 13 inch Butcher Knife with Wood Handle by her side.

It's a cleaver. It's a goddamn cleaver.

I haven't asked her about it because it's important to give your spouse space as they evolve. New directions take shape through trial and error - interrogation throws people off track.

When the moon is just right in the sky, moonbeams cast a wicked glint off the steel.

She sleeps more soundly now than she used to.

Except, from time to time I hear her talking in her sleep.

She says "You better shape up, you little bug. You better start carrying your weight around here. When the hell are you going to just say WTF and get on with your life? It worked for Tom Cruise in Risky Business, it could work for you too, if you ever grow some balls. Because if you don't, I have the answer. I have the Defender. I am the Defender."

Sounds like movie dialogue, but I can't quite place it.

I try to descend into sleep after each performance but my mind is racing.

Must be the goddamn job.

No comments:

Post a Comment