Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Girl In The Road

I just finished a book that is amazing and mind blowing.

"The Girl In The Road" written by Monica Byrne.

It was all the more exciting for me to read because I am a close, personal friend of the author. This is a big deal.

Actually I may not exactly be a close personal friend of Monica's, but I know her well and she is familiar with my quirky ways. Know may be kind of a strong word; I am familiar with her. Well, not really familiar but I know of her.

Truthfully I have never met her, but she is a friend of my enormously talented daughter (in-law).

That's a connection, is it not?

Enough attempts at humor.

This story is unique, amazingly original, set in the future and in a location in the world guaranteed to be foreign to us small minded Americans.

So it has an otherworldly feel throughout.

I will not even attempt to summarize the plot. Just read the damn thing. If you are a science fiction fan you will adore it. But even if you are not a sci-fi devotee, the story is strong enough, unique enough and interesting enough to keep you interested.

Unless your idea of reading is staring at Tweets. In that case forget the book and run out to buy yourself some neck braces to ease the burden of the mutation that will visit itself upon you in five years.

The story exists on an elevated level and then, just for fun, mixes in surprises and mind shocks that will just knock you down.

Obviously I don't have the right words to describe this book.

Just know that if you enjoy being taken far outside your own life and becoming immersed in a world that can keep the worries of your life at bay for a while, pick up "The Girl In The Road."

You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment