Saturday, November 22, 2014

My God - What Have I Done?

As you know, I picked up a copy of "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand.

I have heard her name for years, heard about her books for years. Her name and philosophy were bandied about quite prominently in recent political elections.

Mostly by republicans, who of course are not intelligent enough to understand in purity anything falling under the category of philosophy.

I love the book. I am digging it quite deeply. It is an interesting read because I don't know who to expect to be the hero, the winner, of the story, and who to expect to be the villain, the loser.

Scenarios are turned on their head because of Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism.

I love the story so much I dashed right out and bought a copy of "Alas Shrugged", her follow up book which is widely acclaimed to be her crowning achievement.

I have rediscovered book stores.

Used to be, back in the day, back when I was more in touch with who I am, I would regularly visit a used bookstore named "The Book Depot."

Magnificent place. Everything you want a used book store to be.

Old building, creaky, uneven floors, a wood burning stove giving off not quite enough heat in the winter, owners and employees who worship the written word. People who would engage you in half hour conversations about authors, books, poetry, music and life.

It was my church.

I have gotten away from it as I have gotten away from myself.

But

The Toadstool Bookstore exists near to where I work. I have taken to escaping there at lunch. Browsing peacefully through the used book section rather than punching my boss in the face.

That is where I bought "The Fountainhead." That is where I bought "Atlas Shrugged."

My dilemma is as follows:

"The Fountainhead" is 700 pages of fine print. "Atlas Shrugged" is 1100 pages long. The book is so big, so heavy, my biceps no doubt will swell with the exertion of holding it.

That represents a sum total of 1800 pages of Ayn Rand.

I am 250 pages into "The Fountainhead."

Have I taken on too much?

My appetite says no.

No comments:

Post a Comment