Tuesday, November 3, 2015

A Declaration That Cannot Be Questioned

I love my family.
I love my family.
I love my family.

On Sunday, November 1, 2015 my sons and their women assembled at our home for dinner, conversation and celebration.

We were celebrating Craig's birthday and Emily's birthday.

Unbeknownst to the group, Carol and I were celebrating the fact that this is our family. That is always the secret part of the joy whenever we get to spend time with them.

On these days Carol is like a little kid. In fact, for weeks before the event she is like a little kid. So excited. So happy that we are getting together.

Me, I could take it or leave it. My sons are forever asking me for money. They never pay me back. They call me "Old Fart" to my face. They secretly replace my blood pressure medication with placebos. I'm not sure what the motivation is there.

Initially my joy comes from feeling Carol's joy. I love to listen to her talk about the impending gathering; I love the happiness in her voice, on her face and in her eyes.

The day arrives and the kids arrive.

I am overwhelmed.

I have been over this time and time again. I know you are bored. But I can never take these situations for granted because of the peace that they bring to our souls.

It is the unspoken stuff that knocks me out. There is a feeling, a sensation that permeates the day.

A sensation born of love and trust and respect, but it goes much deeper than that. It cannot be described but it is there, it has an almost physical presence.

There is laughter, there is catching up, there are questions and answers and we all end up knowing each other a little better.

A little deeper.

And there is the feeling. The sensation. The aura.

If I could feel that feeling every minute of my waking life I would live to be 235 years old.

Sunday was a spectacular day for Carol and me thanks to the precious nature of our sons and their women. Thanks to our relationships and our love.

A few weeks from now we get to do it all again on Thanksgiving. And it will be Carol's birthday, which ratchets up the meaning of the moment even higher.

I am exceptionally lucky to be married to the woman who shares my life, and exceptionally lucky to have the sons that I have, and exceptionally lucky that those sons brought women into this family who make it even better.

I love my family.
I love my family.
I love my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment