Sunday, November 15, 2015

I Am A Complete idiot

I had grand plans for October 27th and I just let the day slip on by.

On October 27, 2014 I attended my last Allman Brothers concert in the history of my life with my longest running friend, The Great and Mighty Phil. It was their final run at The Beacon and 10/27 was their second to last show before they split up.

Phil and I were there because my sons - Keith and Craig - bought the tickets. I couldn't afford to go and I couldn't get any of the concerts on line, so Keith and Craig stepped up and surprised me with two tickets to paradise.

It was an incredibly amazing thing for them to do.

Understand - my sons don't have to do anything for me. Nothing at all. I love them more deeply than is humanly possible but, still, I pull it off.

I love them. I respect them. I love their company. I love our conversations and I love to laugh with them.

What they did went above and beyond, and it allowed me and Phil to enjoy a night that was mind blowing.

The concert was spectacular, we had dinner before, drinks after, we talked, reminisced and enjoyed one last Allman Brothers moment together. We have been to at least twenty ABB concerts together; probably more.

The night was spectacular. And it was intense. Phil flew up from Florida, I took a train from NH, we spent one night in New York City and turned around and re-traced our steps.

Bing, bang, boom.

We still talk about that night and probably will for the rest of our lives.

I wanted to commemorate it on the exact anniversary because it meant so much to me.

But I blew it.

I forgot.

I'm only human. I'll let myself off the hook.

The important thing is that I recognize once again the beautiful thing my sons did. Something I will be forever grateful for.

It is rare that you can give somebody a gift that makes their soul smile.

My sons did that for me and Phil.

I am an exceptionally lucky dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment