Monday, June 14, 2021

Tranquility

I am experiencing true tranquility today.

Last Monday was the final radiation session. I had Tuesday off from work. I revelled in the sheer beauty and slow moving pace of the day. The shape of it. The feel. No obligations. No place I had to be. No deadlines. No commitments.

I was immediately plunged into chaos on Wednesday. I had to drive Carol to Bedford for cataract surgery. On Thursday I had to drive her to Manchester for follow-up on the surgery. I worked Thursday afternoon and all day Friday.

None of this was relaxing.

Wednesday was a bizarre step backwards in time - all the way back to March of 2020. The automatic doors at the entrance to the building were disabled. We had to wait until someone came out, checked our bona fides and allowed entrance. They then checked our temperatures. Masks were required.

I was not allowed to sit in the waiting room. No one is. I was not allowed to stay in the building. Which meant I had 2 hours to kill.

We were aware of this upfront, so I brought a big fat book with me. The day was gorgeous. I sat in my car and read, windows down, sunroof open.

1 and 1/2 hours later they called to tell me to park outside the entrance in 15 minutes. Around 30 minutes later Carol strolled out of the building.

It was a strange experience.

Carol is doing OK but not as OK as she would like. EVERYONE told her the surgery was a piece of cake and her eyesight would be excellent almost immediately. This is 5 days later and the vision in that eye is a bit blurry still. Carol is not happy. She will be calling Dr. Feelgood today to see what the hell is up.

OK. Back to my selfish story.

We had a peaceful weekend and now I have today and tomorrow. True peace. Sweet tranquility.

I just exercised and showered and I am feeling powerful. My perspective has been sharpened once again..

The 44 day intrusion of radiation sucked the life out of my days. But now that it is over, it makes me appreciate a little more what a fucking gift 4 days off from work every week is.

Truthfully I have never become jaded about the 4 day break - I savor it. But not having radiation to deal with makes the time even a little sweeter.

That's my story.

Hope you are well.

No comments:

Post a Comment