Thursday, October 13, 2022

F&J

F: "Give me one more whiskey, John, and I'll settle up."

J:"You're kind of quiet today."

F:"Been thinking a lot."

J: "Care to talk about it?"

F: "Not much to say, really. I've recently come to a realization about my life."

J: "You gotta be careful with thoughts like that."

F: "I'm a bum. Pure and simple. Nothing but a fucking bum."

J: "That's not true, man - you're being a bit harsh on yourself."

F: "I didn't plan on being a bum. I never wanted to be a bum. I didn't think I was capable of it. It just turned out that way."

J: "What is it that makes you think you're a bum?"

F: "Nothingness. I did nothing with my life. I could have, I had opportunities, but I did not act upon them. I squandered this thing everybody describes as so precious. Life."

J: "Everybody makes mistakes, man, everybody misses out on things - you shake 'em off and move along."

F: "It's not that simple. I don't have a lot of time left. I can't make up for what I've lost. Leave my gravestone blank, man - it's the only epitaph that makes sense."

J: "You are so wrong. Everybody loves you, people respect you, they like to be around you. You made a mark, man."

F: "You're probably right. Maybe I'm overreacting."

F took a final sip of whiskey, left a generous tip, and shook J's hand.

He had been nodding along, making like he was listening intently.

In reality, he hadn't heard one single word J said.

No comments:

Post a Comment