Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Buried Alive

I feel like I am sealed in a crypt.

Woke up at 6 this morning - the temperature was 67 degrees. Right now it is 92 degrees. And humid. Therefore the house is sealed up. Central air is on.

Usually, in this beautiful and peaceful home, the windows are open, the slider is slid revealing the screen door, sunshine and breeze and outside have access to the inside. It is bright and breezy, and birds sing their hearts out.

Normally, the cats are footloose and fancy free. Bopping from the screen door to the windows in the living room, the windows in the bedroom, the window in the main bath, the windows in the two back rooms, and back to the screen door looking onto our small porch. Until they exhaust themselves in bliss and curl up for hours in peaceful dreams.

Not today. The house is sealed up. Like a prison cell. Or a death vault.

Today they demand to know what the fuck is going on. This morning they wandered around aimlessly, unsure of what to do. No open windows to sit in, no open anything to occupy them. Bewildered.

A couple of times they just sat in the middle of the living room looking like they had just eaten quaaludes. A couple of times they followed me from room to room, evidently hoping I would regain my senses and open the fucking windows.

Finally, they gave up. They've been sleeping. A lot. But not in windows and not near the screen door.

I feel bad. I tried to explain it to them, but they think I am a lunatic anyway so they just ignored me.Two more days of this heat. I can't wait until we can open up the house again. Late Thursday, maybe Friday.

It is 92 degrees and humid. I have never lived in a house with central air before.

It is fucking awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment