Thursday, June 20, 2024

Deadly Misconceptions and Painful Self-Reflection

Father and Son sitting at a picnic table outside a family get together mourning the death of the wife/mother.

Father: "I'm sorry. I wasn't able to be the father you wanted. But I guess I wanted you to be better than me. And I thought that if I push...It may not mean anything to you, but I want you to know that I really do love you. And I'm...I'm sorry. I'm just so sorry."

Son: "I'm sorry I wasn't able to be the son you wanted."

Father: "You did the best you could."

Son: "Still, yeah. Manage to seem to still like Hank. He was a lot more of a fuck up than I was."

Father: "He was the baby."

Son: "Yeah."

Father: "He needed us more. "

Son: "Yeah, he needed you more. You sure it wasn't his cute looks or his puppiness?"

Father: "You were the first. The first always has it rougher."

Son: "Yeah, so I'm told. You know, the four of you, I never felt like I was part of the club. Beautiful birds of a feather. You sure I'm your son?"

The Father stands up and slaps the Son.


The son earlier talking to his brother:

"But my life, it, it doesn't add up. It's............nothing connects to anything else. It's..........I'm not the sum of my parts. All of my parts don't add up to one...to one me, I guess."

From Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Marisa Tomei, Albert Finney and.....................

If you want to watch a movie that tells a painful story and makes no apologies, this is the one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment