Sunday, June 23, 2024

I Couldn't Help Myself

 We have been hibernating this weekend because it is NASCAR weekend in Loudon, essentially right down the road from us.

The crowds and traffic are always choking. The irony is that for many, many years - before we moved up here - we were that crowd.

The local hotels are full up, the local restaurants and bars are rockin'. It is a fucking blast.

I could not help myself this morning. I had to get a taste of it. So I went out to Dunkin' Donuts to treat Carol and me to breakfast. And to check out the insanity.

When I got to the end of the driveway for this community, traffic was non-stop on 140 - the road that runs right by us.

Irony of Ironies: We drove down this road every year. Year after year. We drove right by the place where we now live. How wild is that? We drove the road so we could meet up with our derelict friends and family at a gas station right around the corner. We congregated there before heading to the track in a caravan of insanity.

I took a left this morning and headed out towards Route 3a, watching a parade of cars drive in the direction of my over 55 community on 140. Non-stop traffic.

3a was rocking, and there was a ton of traffic coming off 93. The drive thru at Dunkin' was choked so I went inside.

That's when it happened.

Inside was crowded too. Almost everyone was wearing race gear. Racing conversations. T-shirts, hats; cars parked outside had flags and stickers. My soul tingled.

So many memories. So many wild and crazy memories, so much laughter, so many good times. So many great stories.

I could never deal with the crowds at the track anymore or the traffic or the 12 hour day. I could definitely never drink all day like I used to (goddamn it). Just not interested anymore.

So I was glad to get a feel of it this morning, a taste of it; pick up on the vibe of excited expectation.

Had a damn good breakfast too.

No comments:

Post a Comment