Thursday, March 30, 2023

Cicely Here I Come

I'm moving to Alaska folks.

Cicely, Alaska to be precise.

I know, you're saying "For Christ sake, Joe - you hate the fucking cold! Why move to Alaska? Why not Ibiza, where you can party your ass off and be warm year-round?"

Valid point.

As I was mixing up a bowl of oatmeal this morning (to be subsequently graced with slices of banana), I was contemplating the straight jacket that I wear. It occurred to me that all I really want out of life is to be free to be quirky.

All the characters on Northern Exposure were quirky. Delightfully so. But here's the conundrum - did they wear their quirkiness on their sleeve before they arrived in Cicely, or did Cicely bring their quirkiness to the surface? The first two people I should consult before I go, are Holling Vincouer and Chris Stevens. They are both philosophers in their own unique ways; talking to them would blaze an honest path to the truth.

I suspect that Cicely gives life to quirkiness because it is a strange environment - harsh, unforgiving and isolated. You can't live in your fucking recliner and have life delivered to you; you gotta fight for it, go out and get it, plan ahead, improvise. You gotta be natural to deal with that, you gotta be you. Phoniness ain't gonna cut it in Alaska. 

Besides, the people there are accepting, everybody has made a move from "civilization" to the wilderness for a reason; they welcome oddballs with open arms.

Even if Holling and Chris counseled me not to make the move, I would go anyway. I'm desperate for quirky.

But it would be a blast to talk to them.

Editor's Note

1) YES, I understand that Cicely, Alaska doesn't exist, give me a fucking break. But fantasy is always better than "reality", baby. 

I would give anything to sit down at the bar in The Brick, have Holling serve me a beer and philosophize, do a couple of shots with Chris, and dig on the sheer joy of witnessing a conversation between Shelly, and Ed Chigliak. It would be light years beyond the boring people I experience on a daily basis.

2) Isn't oatmeal amazing? You empty the packet into your colorful, Mexico-themed bowl, boil up some water and, presto chango, you got yourself some breakfast. A healthy breakfast, just like that. Freeing you up to mow a double cheeseburger, fries, and two beers for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment