Friday, March 17, 2023

There Are Genuine Good People On This Planet (But Not Many)

So we got 100 feet of snow, and a large branch sitting on top of my car, having smashed the windshield.

What do we do?

I ain't no country boy, don't have a chain saw and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. Don't know any good body repair guys. And trust is a dangerous commodity in the world of car repair. WTF.

For over 30 years we have been bringing our cars to be serviced by Danny. An absolutely remarkable man.

He started the business in 1978, sold it in 2022. He maintains a towing business on his own now, has a flatbead truck.

He treated us with nothing but respect. His service was excellent and reliable. He gave us rides to and fro when we were really stuck, or arranged for his employees to do that. He let us make payments on big bills when we were really broke. He towed my sons out of snow banks when they were rookie drivers. He always responded to every emergency, in good humor, and gave us peace of mind. He gave great advice in those situations when we had to make tough, big-money decisions.

He went out of his way to make things right.

So we called him. In desperation. Even though he sold the business, we called him. For advice.

He said "I have a chain saw, I'll be along."

He showed up a couple of hours later and chopped up the giant sequoia that assaulted my car. He grabbed a shovel and got rid of some snow surrounding the right front tire. He got in my car, rocked it back and forth, and got it out of the snowbank. He assessed the damage.

He recommended a body repair guy that he trusts. He loaded my car on the flatbed and drove it to that location, gave the guy all my information. He called later to give me the name, address and phone number of the body repair guy. He told me he would stay in touch with us throughout the process. I know he will.

He's an old school customer service guy. The kind that doesn't exist anymore. The kind that does everything in his power to ease your worried mind. We trusted him implicitly and still do.

He knows exactly what he's doing business-wise, and he understands that the people he is dealing with are human beings who are stressed out about car problems and money worries, people who he treats with amazing empathy.

Danny saved us on Wednesday. Just like he has many, many times before. We talked, we laughed. He's a much happier guy now that he doesn't have to worry about meeting payroll and managing a business and employees. He told us so. It was great to see him so content.

Danny is a genuine good person. I hope he lives to be 135 years old. 

He is an exceptionally positive force in a cesspool of a world.

No comments:

Post a Comment