Friday, June 14, 2013

Melancholy Rock

Feeling a little morose today. Pensive.

The Stones played The Garden Wednesday night. I was not there.

They play there again tonight. I will not be there.

Whaddya gonna do? That's life. I couldn't make it work and it didn't happen.

I am experiencing a genuine feeling of melancholy. They may never come 'round again. It is not my way to count The Stones out, but they only tour every 5, 6 or 7 years. If it were to happen again, they would be in their mid-seventies.

Not impossible, but not likely.

Seeing them in The Garden would have been superb. I have seen them twice, but in stadiums, where I spent all my time looking at the screen.

It does me good to know the boys are still rocking because it is vindication for my generation. We have sold out almost entirely - 99% - but The Stones were there in the beginning and they are here now. Brings weight to the music, keeps the spirit alive, nourishes roots that changed our lives, that changed the world.

I expected Charlie, Keith, Mick and Ronnie to be at my house for dinner last night on their night off when I got home from work, but Carol could not pull it off.

I still love her.

Only my generation can understand what The Beatles and The Stones meant to young, impressionable minds. Only my generation can understand the power of this thing that still vibrates fifty years later. Still excites, still creates wonder.

Everybody knows the story of Keith running into Mick at the train station and noticing they were carrying some of the same records. Sharing their interests, forming a band, and conquering the world.

A truly great story.

They are called The World's Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band. And they proudly celebrate the world's greatest rock rebel as a founding member.

Some quotes from a recent Men's Journal interview with Keith ( who will turn 70 this December in a big up yours to the world):

"They think I'm a cartoon. I mean "Keith Richards"- everybody knows what it means. It comes with longevity. I'm glad it strikes people's imaginations. I'd like to be old Keith and play him to the hilt. I'm probably something different to millions of different people."

"With the smack, I knew - I've got to stop now or I'm going to go in for hard time. The cocaine I quit because I fell on my head. Due to that - no more coke. Actually my body tells me when to stop..........the hard way. Its a knock on the head - OK. Its no big deal to me to give things up."

"It's like Churchill said about alcohol, "Believe me I've taken a lot more out of alcohol than it has ever taken out of me." And I kind of feel the same way about the dope and stuff. I got something out of it. Might've pissed off a lot of people."

"Yeah, I guess I mellowed. Until maybe about 20-odd years ago, it was "Nobody left this band except in a coffin." I'd just say, after 50 years in a band, anybody that's still alive, you're welcome to come back in and do your bit."

"Oh, I've been to a few end of year concerts, and school plays. I've done my daddy bit, big time. It's kind of new for me, graduations and stuff.".................."Yes of course I enjoyed it. It was important to me because it was important to them."

Q: You don't feel shackled by the chains of domesticity?

"No! I'm the one that cooks breakfast. When I'm at home, I'm Daddy to the max."

"I've always wanted animals; there's something of a connection with them. I've always felt that it's very innocent and beautiful - there's a beautiful trust exhibited, with no other side to it."

Some sides to Keith.

Anyway, I'll think about The Stones tonight when I am at The Asylum. They will probably just be coming into it, really starting to crank, as I leave the store.

Maybe, if they do decide to hang 'em up in the near future, maybe they'll do some sort of abbreviated farewell tour. I could shoot for that one.

If not, I have my vinyl, my cassettes, my Cd's, my iPod, my Dvd's.

And my memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment