Saturday, June 15, 2013

Musical Notes

Slowly, I am coming out of Rolling Stones melancholia.

I am actually surprised at how deeply this is affecting me. I really wanted to see them at The Garden.

A guy walked into The Asylum yesterday wearing a 50th anniversary tour T-shirt. I asked him if he was at Wednesday's show. He said "Yup" and he was going last night as well.

That skewed my equilibrium for a while.

On Thursday night, Carol and I dialed up an episode of Stephen Colbert featuring Paul McCartney. A one hour show. This was the night in between The Stones shows.

So I guess my brain got a double dose of mind altering nostalgia.

Colbert was fantastic with Sir Paul. An excellent interview. Funny, informative, obvious reverence colored with a touch of irreverence. I  was a little surprised at how good the interview was. Paul told a few stories I hadn't heard before and talked about The Beatles a lot.

He is not and has never been well spoken. But it was cool anyway. He played a bunch of songs as well.

He has never been my fave, but I found myself hanging on every word. Mesmerized.

Because he is Paul McCartney.

So here I sit. And I am thinking about The Allman Brothers Band. I have a date to see them this August. With family and friends. It will be a glorious night.

I did not see them last year. Over the past 25 years it has been extremely rare that I don't see them at least once a summer. A few times I have seen them three times in one summer. I even went to a concert alone one year. Sat next to some young kids, struck up a conversation. Eventually one kid asked how long I have been a fan. I told him since the first album came out. His response: "You must be really old."

I did not see them last year. I cannot describe how strangely that throws me off. I need that fix. They are in my blood, part of my DNA, a necessary experience that I must have to confirm that I am indeed human.

August looms large in my mind, my heart and my soul. I missed The Stones but I got The Allman Brothers Band. I have always had The Allman Brothers Band.

Got a rag tag group attending the show. Some who have never seen them before. I don't know what to expect but every ABB concert I have ever attended has turned into some kind of event. This one took on a life of its own. When the date was announced, friends contacted me and bullied me into guaranteeing I would get them tickets. All of whom have not seen ABB before. The vibe is growing.

There is indescribable magic there.

I love talking to the youngbloods in the parking lot before the show. Kids 35 years younger than me (and more) who get The Allman Brothers Band. Youngbloods who are knowledgeable about The Allman Brothers Band. Kids who look up to me and my friends as Allman Brothers warriors who have lived their legacy with them and through them.

My love of this band was vindicated a few years ago when my brother attended a concert with me. It was his first time.

The Allman Brothers have a kind of a Keith Richards thing going on with them. The uninformed think they are just a crazy bunch of drug addicts. Over 20 years ago I once told someone I was going to an ABB concert and she said "Wow, you are hard core." Ridiculous.

My brother is an accomplished musician and an informed music lover across all genres. The Allman Brothers blew him away. I did not need the vindication, I have known this since 1969, but it felt good to see his reaction.

The Stones are icons. In fact they are beyond icons; there is no word. If you get to see them, you are lucky.

The Allman Brothers are giants. Superbly gifted musicians.

And they are accessible.

They only tour in the summer (except for the annual Beacon run in March) which I love, because it creates a perfect vibe for me. The band I worship performing in the weather I worship.

Outdoors.

I am coming around. I know what is coming and I know it will revive me and rejuvenate me and lose me in magic so powerful that for that one night Joe Testa will not even exist. I will evolve to a higher level of existence that will allow me to float with the music, to connect with the vibe and supercharge my essence.

I am deeply saddened to have missed The Stones.

I am thrilled to anticipate The Allman Brothers Band.

No comments:

Post a Comment