Friday, June 21, 2013

Musical Synchronicity

Strange musical occurrence in The Asylum yesterday.

Heard "Fool On The Hill" and "Nowhere Man" back to back. Made me quite melancholy.

"He's a real nowhere man, sitting in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody."

"Doesn't have a point of view, knows not where he's going to, isn't he a bit like you and me?"

"He's as blind as he can be, just sees what he wants to see, Nowhere Man can you see me at all?"

"Nowhere Man, please listen, you don't know what you're missing, Nowhere Man the world is at your command."

Touch of reality, thread of universality. Lost people, shuttered down, making the world smaller. But, there is hope. Open up, maybe at the prodding of a liberated soul, and the world is at your command.

Wonder what the stats are on which direction is generally taken in the entire recorded history of mankind.

I shall commission a poll through MSNBC.



"Day after day, alone on a hill, the man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still. But nobody wants to know him, they can see that he's just a fool, and he never gives an answer, but the fool on the hill, sees the sun going down, and the eyes in his head, see the world spinning 'round."

"Well on the way, head in a cloud, the man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud. But nobody ever hears him or the sound he appears to make, and he never seems to notice but the fool on the hill........"

"And nobody seems to like him, they can tell what he wants to do, and he never shows his feelings, but the fool on the hill............."

"And he never listens to them, he knows that they're the fools, they don't like him, the fool on the hill............"

They consider him a fool with a foolish grin. They don't hear what he has to say (not can't). They don't want to know him, they don't like him.

It's possible the grin is a knowing grin, one created through knowledge and experience. He knows they are the fools, not because they are stupid but because they don't question, they don't seek, they don't evolve. They do not want their weaknesses and self deceptions exposed.

He makes them uncomfortable, so they mock him.



These two songs capture two prominent sides of human nature. They describe a massive chunk of what the human experience is about.

Hearing them back to back made me weak in the knees. I asked my next customer if he felt he was doing everything he could with his life. I asked him if the guy his buddies mock when they are drunkenly rooting on the Bruins is actually more worldly than them, with insights to share.

He clubbed me over the head with his 1.75 of Jim Beam. It didn't break because my head is soft from constantly pounding it with my palm, as in "Damn, (slap) why didn't I think of that?"

He called me a fool and told me I am a loser.

The lyrics of those two beautiful songs rang in my head as I bounced a stapler off the back of his head.

No comments:

Post a Comment