Sunday, April 6, 2014

Don't Stop, Joe

I was listening to an NHPR music dude describe a new group that he digs.

He was using that over the top, flowery, overly descriptive style that drives you crazy.

Something like this:

"This group is out on the edge of electronica, yet they maintain an air of emotion and sensitivity. Simultaneously bold and introspective, they ruffle the feathers of convention while still respecting the parameters of the genre. At times shrill, at times sweet, their message is both provocative and comforting."

I was thinking "Jesus Christ, this guy is obnoxious. Why can't he just describe the music simply?"

Exactly half a second later I realized that this is the way I write.

Over the top, wordy, excessively emotive, flowery.

I laughed.

It is said the qualities you hate the most in others can often be found in yourself.

I wrestle with this concept because there are a lot of things I hate about a lot of people.

And because I like the way I write.

Confusion. If I like the way I write but get annoyed at Music Critic Man, what am I to think? How do I interpret this?

Hell, I don't know.

Maybe you get annoyed at the way I write. Maybe you walk through these pages just to see how obnoxious I can get.

I'd like to think not, but who the hell really knows what goes on in the mind of another human being?

No one. Not even the other human being.

So I'll laugh at the critic, I'll laugh at myself and keep on doing what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment