Thursday, April 10, 2014

You Call That Music?

It's that time of year.

I'm waking up to birds chirping outside the bedroom window.

This morning there is a talented soloist persistently chirping. I can hear him right now.

It is such a hopeful sound. I love it. It's soothing and it is nature, pure and bold.

I woke up half an hour before the alarm did and lay there listening. Occasionally smiling.

He repeats the same pattern over and over again. Kind of like a portion of the guitar solo in "Ramblin' Man."

I was working some low life job many years ago during one of the many blue periods of my life, some sort of factory job, small place, only four or five of us in the room. They always had a radio going.

The guy to my left was an older dude and old school. "Ramblin' Man" came on, eventually worked it's way 'round to the solo and this guy started mouthing off about rock n' roll. Complaining about the solo being repetitive. The typical refrain: "You call that music?"

I'm talking Allman Brothers here. I wanted to kick this guy into soprano voice land but, being the new guy, I kept my quiet.

Still, it disturbed me. To this day, many days when I hear "Ramblin' Man" and the solo comes 'round, I think of that guy.

My bird has stopped chirping farther away now. I hear him lightly. Bummer. He probably got bored with my reminiscent segue.

It is 25 degrees right now, but the high is predicted to be 62. And sunny.

This guy is chirping his way to 62.

Happily. Defiantly.

Being closer to Mother Nature than I am, being much more a part of the natural order of things, I believe he is coaxing her to come around.

It is April 10 and time flies. We are supposed to be warm. We are geared up for it. After the past death-like winter, we hunger for warmth greedily and with extreme prejudice.

I am unhappy about the persistent cold. I did not go for a walk yesterday because it never hit fifty and it was windy. I will not be duped, abused and mocked by faux spring weather.

And yet this bird makes me happy. He elevates my spirit and gives me reason to move about today with faith in spring.

I would like to sit here all day long and listen to this guy.

I believe it would do my soul good.

No comments:

Post a Comment