Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Today I Am Glorious

I walk into work every day like a 160 pound side of beef strolling into a meat grinder.

I whirl and swirl around in that grinder for eight and a half hours, feeling myself being pulverized into something more compliant.

I walk out of The Asylum at the end of my shift, dripping blood. That's why I keep luxuriant towels on the front seat of The Big Ride. They are highly absorbent.

I stagger into my home like a lunatic on a three day drunk and begin to reassemble myself into a 160 pound side of beef.

The beautiful days are the off days. Like today. I wake up reassembled and overwhelmed with a sense of possibility. The contrast between the grinder and temporary freedom makes the freedom taste like chocolate.

Maybe that is how life is designed.

I woke up this morning and saw sunshine and blue sky through the Vaseline blur.

Thoughts of spring surged through my body.

I come alive at this time of year. They tell me spring springs on March 20. Or 21st. Somewhere in there.

That of course is a lie. It's a calendar thing. Today is April 9 and I have felt little spring. Right now it is 40 degrees and partly cloudy. I don't know if that is average for early April and I don't care.

That does not feel like spring. The expected high is 52 degrees. The low tonight will be 28.

28? You call that spring?

But my body is always hopeful. My body does come alive at this time of year every year. Somehow it knows that winter is close to releasing it's death grip and there is hope that my bones will warm in a few months time.

So I am humming and thrumming today. Gonna change my life completely. Get everything I want right now. Probably in the next fifteen minutes or so.

At least that's the way I feel.

I will get outside during the 52 degree portion of the day. Maximize the paltry heat today offers up. Take a walk.

Tomorrow I walk back into the meat grinder. But tomorrow ain't even close right now.

That's what work does to me. It grinds my bones into dust. It makes my days off feel like a week in Hawaii.

This does not sit well with whatever logic flows through my brain, but for now, it is what it is.

Today I am glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment