Monday, May 11, 2015

Yesterday (Thankfully)

Had one of "those" days yesterday.

Mother's Day.

A supremely laid back, enjoyable celebration with those who are closest to our hearts.

Keith, Emily, Craig, Karen.

Impossible to express accurately just how good it makes Carol and I feel to bask in the company of this crew; laughing, talking, giving love and getting love.

Nothing better.

Unfortunately it was another day touched by death.

Keith and Emily came to our home after spending time at the funeral service of a friend.

A 35 year old friend who was cut down by cancer.

A guy who left behind a young wife and two year old daughter.

Got me thinking about that aspect of Mother's Day.

In my family, Lydia lost Maria. Mary Ann lost Kathy. Paula lost Gary. Kathy lost Jonathan. Cathy lost Kevin.

Also Skip lost Sarge. Dolly is no longer around. I mention Skip to further illustrate the magnitude of the pain this family has endured.

I hope I have not overlooked anybody. I get emotional when I write this stuff. I hope there is nobody left to overlook.

I am talking about one family, immediate and extended. One family that has experienced the death of six offspring.

Life is a nasty thing to negotiate precisely because there are no guarantees.

There is no natural order. You cannot count on anything, you cannot take anything for granted. With kids, with parents, with siblings, with family.

Motherhood is truly a sacred thing.

I joke that fathers do not get the same intensity of attention on Father's Day. They get a tie. Or Brut...............................................by Faberge.

Fatherhood is a different animal.

A dad can be a clown, a protector, a provider, a friend, an inspiration, a teacher and many other things.

Giving birth to a child has to be the single most meaningful thing a human being can do.

Mother's deserve to be deeply appreciated on Mother's Day and every day.

Carol and I don't take days like yesterday lightly.

People often tell us that we are lucky to have the sons that we have. To enjoy the relationships that we have.

We get a little defensive and tell them that the way we raised Keith and Craig has something to do with the way things are today.

They are their own men with their own lives and their own points of view. But Carol and I definitely contributed to their development.

Yesterday was magnificent.

Warm, easy, soul nourishing.

The only luck came in the form of the successful meal I created.

Other than that it was all about love and truth and caring and closeness and trust.

Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment