Saturday, June 13, 2015

Lords of Chaos - The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground

Started this book up yesterday.

Chapter one begins thusly: "The Devil has always treasured music. What better arena to inspire, cultivate, and propagate his will into the affairs of man."

I am immediately hooked.

Chapter one makes reference to Aleister Crowley. He was an English black magician dubbed "the wickedest man in the world" by the press in the 1930's. I have read some of his stuff. I got away from it due to my obsession with Bambi and The Sound of Music.

I must return to Crowley.

Chapter one makes reference to Anton Szandor LaVey. He founded the first official Church of Satan in 1966. He wrote the "Satanic Bible" in 1969. I have read the Satanic Bible. I got away from it due to my obsession with puppy dogs and daisies.

I must re-read the Satanic Bible.

Chapter one traces the roots of Black metal to three groups - Venom, Mercyful Fate, and Bathory.

Bathory took their name from the "Blood Countess" Erzebet Bathory, "a Hungarian noblewoman in the 1700's put on trial for the murder of hundreds of young girls, in whose blood she allegedly bathed to maintain her youthful beauty."

I am surprised Revlon has not jumped all over this practice as the next big beauty trend.

This book holds great promise for me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment