Saturday, February 6, 2021

We NEED The Super Bowl

LV.

What a gift. Brady versus Mahomes. That is exactly the kind of match up you want for a Super Bowl.

Especially now. Very especially now.

I have come full circle on Brady. When he left THE PATS I was hoping he would get tackled during his first game with the bucs and break both legs.

Eventually I realized that was a selfish and petty position to take. The man is a football God. A grown-ass man. His life is his own to do with whatever he wishes. And he has done pretty well so far.

So I am rooting for the bucs. And Brady. I would love to see him get another ring.

I don't care what your opinion of football is. There are a lot of haters out there, largely created by the NFL itself. The hype is ridiculous. The NFL Network has been bragging about 70 hours of Super Bowl coverage this week before Sunday's game. Seventy hours.

The second coming of Christ is not worth 70 hours of TV coverage in one week.

But here's the deal - the Super Bowl transcends football. It is a larger than life spectacle. We need spectacles to provide an escape from these horrible times we are "living" through.

We need wonder and awe. The Super Bowl provides that.

I don't give a damn whether you watch the game or not. But find something about it, some touching story or unique coverage that captivates you. Something you can lose yourself in. It's out there. Not all the coverage is bullshit.

Or watch the game and lose yourself in the insanity of it. It's just a football game but it has a weight and a meaning and a significance about it that can capture your emotions.

I am a little worried about a Covid Super Bowl. A lot will be lost. Screaming fans give you juice, baby - you thrill through them. I have watched some pretty good live stuff in Covid Times. I am hoping they pull this off tomorrow in a big way. A mind blowingly satisfying way.

I have been a compromised football fan this season. Covid has ripped a lot of life out of me. Twice during the season THE PATS had night games that I completely forgot about. Carol had to remind me.

That is not me.

Tomorrow? I am all in, baby. I am whipping up a batch of my famous nachos. I am going to dig out some beautiful recipe that I have forgotten about and create a magnificent feast. I don't want to just barbecue. I want everything about this day to be special.

For four and a half hours I am going to enjoy myself. We are going to enjoy ourselves. Me and my special wife (our 43rd wedding anniversary occurs next week) are going to enjoy each others company, laugh, thrill, ooh and aahh, and we have been given the perfect match-up to do it.

The only thing that could make it better would be to enjoy the day with Keith and Craig and Eddie, but that is not to be. Fuck covid.

But trust me I will not allow any melancholy to detract from my enjoyment.

Tomorrow will be spectacular.

We NEED the Super Bowl. I need it.

Desperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment