Sunday, May 29, 2011

Weekend Musings and Cool Socks

I am winging it today, Bubba. I keep a notebook next to my recliner, and as thoughts and or ideas pop into my head that I want to write about, I scribble something down in the notebook. My brain is on fire recently - I have a million ideas.
But today I am feeling loose and free. Probably a reflection of the independence inspired by my two day three day weekend. No notebook today. No previously conceived ideas.
I have figured out that it's not a good idea to have huge goals; you can only fail. And I have done this a million times in my attempts to rearrange my life. I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna have that, I'm gonna make this change. I think big because I ain't got a lot of time to diddle around. But anyway, in an attempt to scale things back I think I'll keep my memorial day weekend dreams modest. I think I'll just focus on changing my life completely. Two days ought to be enough for that.
Change of subject: The Bruins. Man I am psyched. Feels like Red Sox fever in 2004 and PATS fever in 2001. I almost feel like a fraud. Didn't watch a lot of hockey during the season. Every year I go through the same process. Tell Keith how I'm going to watch more Bruins. Then of course I don't. Of course it isn't easy. Carol hates hockey, so every time I try to crank it up she grabs a miniature Red Sox baseball bat and beats me viciously on the head. This has created some reticence on my part.
If I gave it a chance, hockey could possibly become my second favorite sport. Football is numero uno. I love football passionately. Since the age of ten. I see similarities between the two sports. A delicate balance between grace and violence. And I love both the grace and the violence. Hockey is a little less intense to me because the season is a lot longer. Football is INTENSE because the season is so damn short. I need intensity to combat boredom.
I watched a lot of Bruins in the 70's because the guys I hung around with in college were huge hockey fans. They played hockey and actually convinced me to play hockey with them one night. And I can't even skate. Liberal doses of beer and whiskey overcame my doubts and I joined them for one of those midnight on the ice sessions. I looked like a three year old. Knees wobbling, falling down. Hilarious. Amazing I didn't take a puck to the face.
Then I married Carol and she started beating me with the miniature Red Sox bat, which put an end to my hockey viewing.
Anyway I'll be keeping a close eye on the Stanley Cup playoffs. The fourth and final piece to the puzzle. It would be so cool to have all four franchises with a championship in a ten year span. Any other city ever do that before? When you think about it, the total right now is 6 championships since 2001. Boston should be designated as the sports capital of the world.
Change of subject: The job hunt. So I fell into this part time liquor store job. I figure it's my last chance to hold on to a squaresville job until my words make me rich and famous. Money is tight so I applied for a full time position within the liquor world hierarchy. Got a message the other day from HR. I am scheduled for a PRE- INTERVIEW QUALIFICATION MEETING. Corporate america, man. Cracks me up. Talked to my friend/boss about it and he told me they have a new process now where you have to take a written test to determine if you are qualified to interview for the job. So I have to endure the indignity of being tested to qualify for the indignity of being cross examined by a board of phony baloney pseudo execs. People who rose to their positions of power by kissing ass and back stabbing, instead of earning their promotions through hard work and intelligence. And these low lifes are going to evaluate me to determine if I have what it takes. And you wonder why I yearn for the independence of free lance writing.
OK this was pretty weak stuff today. My mind is relaxed and I am dreaming about endless days like today and tomorrow. Warm days of no work and total freedom. I have earned the right. I have been working since 1972. All my bills should be paid by now.
It's almost 1:30. I am going to try to change my life completely by 5:00. That way it's over and done with, out of the way and accomplished. Then I can move on to other things. Like washing my socks. My favorites. The ones with the skulls and crossbones on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment