Monday, February 11, 2013

Autobiographia Literaria

A poet I discovered yesterday. Take a taste.

"When I was a child
I played by myself in a
corner of the schoolyard
all alone.

I hated dolls and I
hated games, animals were
not friendly and birds
flew away.

If anyone was looking
for me I hid behind a
tree and cried out "I am
an orphan."

And here I am, the
center of all beauty!
writing these poems!
Imagine!"

Frank O'Hara

I heard this poem sung yesterday and it blew me away. You can interpret it anyway you want; that is the beauty of creativity. I have ideas but I haven't read enough of Mr. O'Hara to opine.  But I will. I like this guy. All I can tell you is that the opening stanza grabbed my emotions and the poem ended for me in an unexpected way.

Creative people keep coming into my life in unexpected, unplanned ways. I love that.

There is a story connected with how I came in contact with Frank but I haven't the time or the energy to get into it right now. But I will.

Poetry rocks.


No comments:

Post a Comment