Saturday, February 23, 2013

New Job (Again)

Yowza, I'm shaking the cobwebs out.

Haven't walked around in here for four days. An eternity.

Crazy week. Life changing.

Stumbled through the last three days of my old dead-end soul sucking job. Said goodbye to the guys who made me laugh. That was tough. I am an ancient mariner. Held many jobs in my life. Don't know what that says about my employability but that is a topic for another place and time.

I have never laughed as much as I did with this crew. Ever. We got it done and we made it as much fun as possible. People loved coming into our store because they got service and they got a show. I don't think I will ever experience that again. It was a pleasure working with these guys and I miss them already.

Yesterday was Day One of The New Job. I survived it. That is good enough for me. I don't know how cool you are, but for me the goal on the first day of any new job is to survive. I am ultra nervous and confidence fights a battle with the lack thereof.

I made bonehead mistakes, I handled some stuff all right. I am an assistant manager. That ups the ante. I never think of myself as better than anybody else so it is tough for me to think of myself as a boss. But these people are looking to me for guidance. I have no choice.

I met them, I made my impressions, they made their impressions and we all got through it. I was so tense I never ate lunch, I never took a break. I tried to hide the look of bewilderment on my face but covering up with a hood is frowned upon in retail so I just went with it. I gave off as much false bravado as I could and limped home.

But the gut tells all. I still have a good feeling about this situation. I think I can make it work for me. Work for Carol. Just gotta suck it up.

Day Two today. I am mulling over the bonehead stuff, hoping to avoid that today. I am planning ahead as much as possible. Thinking the day out. Who is there, how to orchestrate it all. Try to be more of a manager.

Still nervous. That's me. I make myself nervous without provocation. I'll work hard to control that so I can focus on doing what I know I know how to do.

I am my toughest critic. If I can satisfy me, I can satisfy anybody.

New approach today. I am wearing a hockey mask.

Ciao, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment