Monday, February 25, 2013

Skip, Luther, Muddy And My Soul

I never know where it is going to come from but it keeps coming and I am glad because it keeps me alive.

Working in the new location has reunited me with a friend that I dig. His name is Skip Philbrick and the man can play the blues. He lives in the town I'm working in, he came into the store the other day and zappo we were laughing and talking. I haven't seen him in a year.

I first became aware of him from visiting the Greatest Blues Club In The History Of The World. I was a regular and Skip played there a lot. I got to know him personally when I tended bar in the joint where he used to hang.

Skip played in Luther Guitar Jr. Johnson's band. Toured the country with him. Luther Guitar Junior Johnson played with Muddy Waters for eight years. Do you understand that lineage? Do you get the connections? Absolutely amazing. Mind blowing.

When I decided to learn to play the guitar, Skip encouraged me. Me. Another guitar player wannabe. We are all over the place. Guitar sitting in the corner of the room collecting dust. But Skip took an interest.

I knew three chords, had been playing for a very short time and Skip encouraged me to come to the club and sit in with him and another primo guitar player. I was shaking inside, had to drink two double whiskeys to get up the courage, but I did it.

And they did not treat me condescendingly. Made me feel damn good. This from a guy who played with Luther Guitar Jr. Johnson who played with Muddy Waters.

Skip always referred me to bands and musicians and songs that he knew I would like. I checked them out and loved them.

He just did it again. Told me about a radio station - 88.7 on the dial - WUMB -  told me they bring the funk. I checked it out, he was right and it made my commute gentle. Music for the soul at a time when I feel pressured and unsure. Sweet escape. Skip did that for me.

Today WUMB celebrated George Harrison's birthday. Which is today. I am ashamed to admit I didn't know that. But it got to me. This evolved, spiritual, intelligent, sensitive man who had such an impact on the world and on my life.

I would not have known it was George's birthday if not for the radio station Skip turned me on to. And it gave me peace. Huge peace. To reflect on this man who tore into life inquisitively - who investigated religions and spirituality - who changed his life to reflect his beliefs - who never stopped seeking.

I am hacking away at myself trying so very hard to evolve and George was right there today to inspire me.

Thanks to Skip.

I heard a song lyric today that blew me away. On WUMB. "It's a long, hard road but you got to pick a lane." Blew me away.

I just picked a lane. Don't have a clue where it will lead but I picked the damn lane and I am cruising down it right now for better or for worse.

I would never have heard that lyric if it wasn't for Skip.

I live for this stuff. I hunger for it and it comes randomly and when it comes, my mind is blown wide open and I am so goddamn happy to be alive.

I read a line in a book yesterday that made me think hard. From a guy feeling pressured. "I had to decide how to use that pressure. I had to decide whether it was going to crush me or turn me into a diamond."

That is exactly where I am right now. Exactly.

I have been wobbling back and forth in four short days of the new job between confidence and fear.

Skip gave me some fuel for confidence, he gave me sweet peace and inspiration.

That is not insignificant. It is goddamn huge.

It came out of no where but then again it came from somewhere. It came from the life I have lived, decisions made, decisions avoided, the good great people I have come in contact with and come to love and respect.

It is magic it is my life and I  am so grateful for these "random" connections that feed my soul.

Thanks Skip.

No comments:

Post a Comment