Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Devil And Mercedes

There will be a Mercedes ad during the Super Bowl featuring Sympathy For The Devil.

I love that with every fiber of my being. Rock 'n roll has come a long way, baby. Mercedes is catering to people like me except in my case it's tough to afford a Mercedes when you bring home $300/week.

Sympathy is a dark song. Of course Mercedes is banking on people not being knowledgeable about the lyrics and they are right. There are still millions of fools who believe Born In The USA is a patriotic anthem.

It's all about recognition, and the baby boomers will immediately identify with the song.

Me personally, I love the interplay of dark lyrics with the image of luxury.

I am sure I will be babbling in detail about the commercial very soon.

I have never liked the selling out of rock 'n roll for commercial exploitation but Pete Townshend put it all in perspective for me years ago when somebody asked him about it.

He gently responded: "They are my songs, I wrote them and I will do with them whatever I f***ing please."

He's got a point.

"So if you meet me
Have some courtesy
Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well learned politesse
Or I'll lay your soul to waste"

A marketing message to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment