Sunday, November 10, 2013

Slumber Rhyme

I woke up a couple of mornings ago with this little ditty playing in my head.

"Everybody hates me, nobody will date me, everybody wants me dead."

I am not lying; moments after I woke up those words were bouncing around my skull.

What do you do with that kind of creativity?

First you have to get by the darkness of it, the psychological implications. Personally I think that is meaningless. My brain likes words, it likes rhythm and I am obsessed with rhymes. I think that is all that was going on there.

Keith Richards wakes up from slumber with the killer riff for "Satisfaction" in his brain.

This is what I wake up with.

But I can work with this. It's got rhythm, its got a feel.

I just tried to write a couple more stanzas but they really sucked so I deleted them. I guarantee you that, given time, I could really flesh this thing out.

But I gotta hit the exercise bike and I'm feeling pressured.

By the way, don't cheer for me. I hit the bike four days in a row after the big BP scare, then I missed four days in a row. I did walk two days at work, for what it is worth. I go in Thursday for the next level of reckoning.

Anyway, Shel Silverstein made a living with stuff like this. My gut tells me I have a long way to go before I can even approach what he did.

But you never know...........................

Here is a taste of Mr. Silverstein:

"Bear In There"

"There's a Polar Bear in our Frigidaire, he likes it 'cause its cold in there. With his seat in the meat and his face in the fish, and his big hairy paws in the buttery dish, he's nibbling the noodles, he's munching the rice, he's slurping the soda, he's licking the ice, and he lets out a roar if you open the door. And it gives me a scare to know he's in there, that Polar Bear in our Fridgitydaire."

No comments:

Post a Comment