Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Dig The Words

Digging a song called "Peace" lately, by O.A.R. Hearing it on The River.

You know, I am an old fart. Extremely old, warped, bent and twisted. I have been down the road and been kicked by mules and lied to and used and abused. My soul has chinks in it.

I'm ragged but I'm real.

Thank God for The River. 92.5 on the FM radio dial, as old tymey disc jockeys used to say.

Before I got old I was young. When I was young I listened to WBCN out of Boston. Back in the day DJ's could play whatever they wanted to. Do whatever they wanted to. They did not have goddamn playlists.

These guys were knowledgeable about music. Passionate. One thing could lead to another. Playing this song by this musician that sparks a connection in the DJ's head and suddenly you go from rock 'n roll to jazz. Or folk. Or blues. Or classical.

They would play entire sides of albums when they felt like it. Probably so they could smoke a joint and stand in the sun kissing some hippie chick.

Beautiful.

Sometimes they would just talk. About music. About bands. About life.

The River doesn't have that kind of freedom, but when I hear Mumford & Sons, followed by Warren Zevon, followed by O.A.R., followed by Bonnie Raitt, followed by Kings Of Leon, followed by Johnny Cash - I know I am listening to freedom. And love of music.

I'm digging "The Cave" by Mumford & Sons. The song ends. A few seconds of silence and I hear "Hello - I'm Johnny Cash" as he kicks off "Folsom Prison Blues."

I just goddamn tingle when that happens.

It happens a lot on this station.

I like it for the depth and breadth of the offerings, and for the "new" bands they turn me onto.

New to me anyway.

As you know, as I continually pummel you over the head with this fact, ultimately I am a word guy.

Lyrics thrill me.

From "Peace" - I don't wanna fight no more, only wanna get to shore, Baby, don't slam the door tonight, we ran another of the tracks, that's time we can't get back, but, we can save tomorrow if we try."

Two people in love. They hurt each other. But they know each other is all they have. The world is a shitstorm and all the people in it are happy to shovel dirt on your grave.

If you got love, you got a chance.

The chorus - "I just wanna make you laugh, I just wanna see that smile, Baby, we're only here, oh, for a little while, I just wanna hold you till we fall asleep.........."

and the killer words in my small and oh so diseased mind - "I want love, I want us, I want you, I want me, I want peace."

Those words sum up to me the deep rooted desire of every human being. The thing that drives us and keeps us searching.

The thing that drives us crazy.

Then - "Everybody needs a place, somewhere that's warm and safe, a shelter from this crazy world we're in, but tonight I let the rain inside, and took away your place to hide, I'm sorry that I made you cry again."

Achingly beautiful, vulnerable, sensitive and true.

All most of us have is a home to go to with somebody inside to love. The world sucks. Work sucks. Not enough money sucks.

Home and love is where we live. It is the only place where we can live.

But when you let the rain inside and take away a place to hide, you shatter the delicate foundation that allows us to live. That allows us to survive.

You go home to warmth and to her and you fill up your tank again. So the assholes can siphon it all off the next day.

If you don't have that, you have nothing.

You are naked to the world.

And the world exists to take advantage.

Good song. Good music, great lyrics. Great radio station on the FM dial.

"I want love, I want us, I want you, I want me, I want peace."

There is no other reason to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment