Monday, May 12, 2014

Joy Through The U.S. Mail

Reading "The Risk Pool" by Richard Russo.

This book came to me magically. Got an envelope in the mail from an acquaintance, Joe C. Unexpected, unannounced. Didn't know what it was but I suspected it was union materials, since it came wrapped in a union envelope. A handbook or something.

The guy that sent it to me is one of two guys who are trying desperately to morph me into a cigar chomping, whiskey swilling, union enforcer.

The book came with a note explaining that RG union guy had informed JC union guy that I am an avid reader, which he is as well. Thought I might like the book.

I read a book quite a while ago by Richard Russo called "Nobody's Fool." A book that was made into a movie that Carol and I have watched 109 times.

We love it.

He also wrote a book called "Empire Falls." A book that was turned into an HBO multi-part special that Carol and I watched many times.

We love it.

Joe C did not know this. How cool is that?

Getting this book in the mail as a complete surprise was a magnificent thing for me. I was genuinely appreciative, genuinely excited.

In addition I had just finished a book that very morning. I started "Risk Pool" the next morning and I am digging it soul-deep.

Read a line today that resonated. The main character is talking about his mom and dad, separated, and their approach to finances.

Dad is footloose and fancy free. The guy doesn't worry about anything, plays fast and loose with his money and his life.

Mom pinches every penny. Has a strict budget that she adheres to, including making provision for unexpected things. She prides herself on never being caught short.

The main character sums up his mom's philosophy like this: "She always congratulated herself on the fact that she had nothing to worry about, and wouldn't have, as long as she continued to worry all the time."

Boom. This is the way we live. This is the way you live. This is the way most of us live.

I despise it. But I know it is the only way to survive as an exploited low-wage earner.

Carol is the budget maven of the family and she excels at it. She takes good care of us and our money. One of the very many reasons that I love her.

My disdain for such a small approach to life comes in part from the privileged childhood I had for many years. A lifestyle to which I can aspire but will probably never achieve.

In addition, I spent the period from 2006-2013 earning small money as I chased something, something I believed to be my life.

I blew it.

In 2013 I finally gravitated back to full time employment. Our combined income now is approximately $14 million annually.

Still, we pinch pennies.

This drives me out of my mind. We are both working jobs we hate, earning respectable money, and yet  Carol keeps trying to convince me that it is socially acceptable for me to wear the same underwear two or three days consecutively.

Tide ain't cheap, you know.

I come from the school of thought that says if you work "for a living" you should be able to enjoy yourself.

I see no point in working like a dog so I can spend my life crawling towards the grave.

For you gratitude junkies, yeah I am actually pleased that we no longer subsist on cat food since I became a full time fool once again. And I know that if I want a better life style it is on me.

I am merely checking in with you right now, at this moment, regarding my opinion, deeply held, and fired up for examination by a line in a book that I am digging royally.

As for everything else, man, it is a beautiful day. Grab it by the throat and squeeze every drop of pleasure out of it that it will yield.

1 comment:

  1. so go commando. Just keep it quiet shhhhh

    ReplyDelete