Friday, October 3, 2014

Bruschi Balls

Even retired football players rarely speak out about the commish.

The NFL is run like a kindergarten. Or a prison. Or a kindergarten prison.

If you speak out you get fined. You are told what not to say, what to say, how to say it, when to say it, what to tweet, what not to tweet YOU GET THE POINT.

Tedy Bruschi recently said that commissioner Roger Goodell should step down. Honest to God. I saw it with my own eyes. I heard it with my own ears.

Made me feel even better about what kind of man Tedy Bruschi is.

A real man.

There is not one active player who would dare suggest that Goodell be fired. Maybe only one or two other retired players who have the balls.

Bruschi was an imposing player for THE PATS and sports three rings to prove it. He survived a stroke at age 31 caused by a small hole complicated by blood clot complications and came back to play four more seasons of football.

Bruschi balls.

Goodell will just keep rolling along because he is a rich man supported by even richer men - much richer men. That is just how the world works.

At least Bruschi's words are out there creating a ripple in a very closed and very strange world. The world of the NFL.

That's better than nothing.

Other football related musings: Have you noticed the disrespect shown sports talk show hosts by former football players? There are a million ex players who now get paid to voice their opinions on the game. Informed, inside opinions that are valuable.

All of these shows are hosted by guys who are not ex athletes, especially not ex football players. The former players are subtle (most of the time), but their responses to observations by and questions from these hosts is supremely condescending.

I don't know if the same attitude applies to ex baseball players. Honestly I don't watch a lot of baseball coverage. Hockey players? I would guess yes. Basketball? Don't know. Those guys live in their own goddamn world anyway.

Maybe the intensity of the sport and the survivalist mentality of football players is the key. Who the hell knows? I'm just trying to pad my word count.

I don't blame the players. I kind of like it. Football is a brutal, punishing sport that virtually guarantees short careers and less money than other sports. Except hockey.

Hmmmmmmmm, what is the connection between the violence of the sport and the generosity of the team owners? (Topic of future expose).

Anyway, these sports talk show hosts exist to get beat up by former player experts. The hosts lay out questions, often lame, that the players twist back to reality. Having multiple ex players on the same show is a joy because there is a strong bond of understanding between them that creates a show within a show.

The best example of this is the show NFL AM on the NFL Network. Featuring LaVar Arrington and Eric Davis. Both former players. Davis is the diplomat. Valiantly answering innocuous questions, albeit with a sly look and an amused demeanor. Arrington is the wise guy. Brash, loud and verbally combative. He used to irritate me and I was prepared to beat him physically if I ever came face to face. But I dig him now. Arrington and Davis make a good team. Check it out.

More musings: I was wondering why there is so much football on my TV. Then it hit me. My thumb is numb on the remote at this time of year. Mindlessly thumbing up the NFL Network at every opportunity. (I wasn't really wondering).

Anyway....................Bruschi Balls.

We all need 'em.

Something to shoot for anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment