Thursday, October 16, 2014

My Heart Is Very Seriously Broken

October 21, 22, 24, 25, 27, 28.

The last dates The Allman Brothers band will play. They are right around the corner.

All to be performed at The Beacon Theatre in NYC. The absolute perfect place to end this magnificent career.

The Beacon is high, holy church to ABB fans. I am lucky to have been there twice. The two greatest concert experiences of my life.

Bar none.

When the band announced the end of the road many months ago, my soul longed to see them in NYC one more time. I told myself, as I always do, yeah the tickets will be expensive and impossible to get, but I will somehow find a way.

The tickets went on sale and sold out in 1 and 1/2 seconds.

No surprise there.

Gradually over the past months, my thought process transitioned away from the belief that I could find a way to attend.

I knew I couldn't.

I held on to a grand scheme in my mind that would still bring me happiness.

Butch Trucks, drummer for and one of the founding fathers of The Allman Brothers Band, created a website called Moogis around five years ago.

The site was designed to broadcast concerts on line. Especially Allman Brothers concerts.

He has broadcast some Beacon Theatre ABB concerts in the past, and other stuff as well. I didn't pay much attention to it but I was aware of its existence.

When I finally swallowed the truth that I would never make it to NYC to see the band's last stand, I decided I would subscribe to Moogis and watch at least one of those concerts live on my computer.

Had a picture in my mind of me seated in front of this very computer, some beer and whiskey close by, a joint consumed prior to the start, thrilling goosebump-like to the music that I love and the band that I worship.

I finally got around this week to checking out the site. The way it works is you pay a subscription price and then you have access to the music.

Even if it cost $150 it would be worth it.

Except the site has gone out of business.

I was devastated.

I absolutely took for granted that I would have a chance to dig one of the last Beacon shows. I was counting on it. I was really looking forward to that night sitting alone in front of the computer as images and memories of my 45 year relationship with this band ran through my head even as I listened to them ROCK in 2014.

I planned on watching the final concert.

I now have no way that I know of to experience any of The Allman Brothers Band's final shows.

I honestly don't care if you understand how I feel about this. But I can tell you I am crushed.

I'll poke around to see if there is any conceivable way to make this happen.

If I cannot, you can know conclusively that I will be down, way down, on the nights of

October 21
October 22
October 24
October 25
October 27
October 28.

If you cannot understand or respect that, I suggest you keep your mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment