Sunday, February 15, 2015

Mortality

"We think about mortality so little these days, except to flail hysterically at it with trendy forms of exercise and high-fiber cereals and nicotine patches. I thought of the stern Victorian determination to keep death in mind, the uncompromising tombstones: Remember, pilgrim, as you pass by, As you are now so once was I; as I am now so you will be........."
 
From "In The Woods" by Tana French.

That thought process and quote caught my attention. The full quote is:

"Remember, pilgrim, as you pass by, As you are now so once was I, As I am now so you will be, Prepare for death and follow me."

Heavy duty. The origin of the quote is muddy. Some say 18th century New England gravestones, some trace it to 1376, where a version of it shows up on the Canterbury tomb of Edward The Black Prince.

Doesn't matter. It is a pretty good slap in the face if you are innocently wandering a graveyard and come across this inscription. Apparently it appears on a lot of gravestones.

It is true that we don't give death much thought. Could be a good thing, could be a bad thing.

All you have to do is tune in WE TV to see how stupidly people behave to understand how little regard for life they have.

Disclaimer: Carol and I watch endless re-runs of "Law and Order" on WE. The ads for the shows that normally - and endlessly  - run on that station - are enough to convince you that this country is populated solely by brain damaged mutants.

Check it out. You will keel over in disbelief.

A healthy awareness of death can be a powerful motivator. You don't have to get morbid about it or obsess about it, but sitting back once in a while and thinking "One of these days I will be dead", should give you perspective.

It is fresher on my mind because it came very close to me in December. And because I am 61.

Something inside me tells me that I will change my life this year. I feel it in my bones and in my soul like never before.

I have already taken many small steps and they feel natural and good.

I have yet to take the big steps. But I feel them coming. Amassing like storm clouds over my own personal horizon.

I used to think "what the hell difference would it make (to me) if I died?" Assuming no afterlife, which I am getting closer and closer to believing, I would just be gone.

There would be no awareness on my part. No regret or anger or emotion of any kind.

No thought process.

I would just cease to exist. I would be a dead parrot.

My current perspective is that if I died right now it would be a waste of life. Such a precious gift to throw away. I have not done yet what I am capable of doing.

My death would mock my life.

I am aware of death more than ever before and more determined not to give in to it than ever before.

I like that remember, pilgrim, quote because it is direct. I prefer an honest approach like that or a humorous approach.

One more direct inscription: "The rising morning can't assure that we shall end the day, for Death stands ready at the door to seize our lives away."

That carries more weight than the "live in the moment" mantra.

Some gravestone humor: "I made some good deals and I made some bad deals. I really went in the hole with this one."

"I was supposed to live to be 102 and be shot by a jealous husband."

"I told you I was sick."

Enough. I got shit to do.

Ciao.




No comments:

Post a Comment