Monday, February 23, 2015

My Relationship With Racing

My relationship with racing is similar to my relationship with baseball.

The racing season got kicked off in grand style yesterday with the Daytona 500. It was an excellent race and the ending was spectacular.

I was excited to watch it. Nerves tingling. I watched it start to finish and was happy to do so.

Maybe about a month into the season I read as I "watch." Got a Rolling Stone magazine going or maybe a chunk of Carol's newspaper.

I take breaks. Pop upstairs to suffocate you in here or to attempt to expand the horizons of my mind on line.

I am still psyched about racing at that point, still digging it thoroughly, but races can get boring just like baseball can get boring.

Not quite as boring as baseball, but close.

Of course baseball will be played at lightening speed this year do to all the "speed the game up" rules changes.

I expect the average time of a game to drop from 3 hours and 45 minutes to 3 hours and 42 minutes.

That will afford me extra time to continue the excavation of my real life, which lies mired layers beneath the one I choose to lead.

But I digress.

I despise the media's focused and narrow minded attempts to stereotype race fans. They focus on huge beer bellies and chest long beards, as well as scantily clad, morally-challenged looking women.

This has gone on forever.

That image was accurate decades ago, but racing's fan base has changed dramatically since I first got into it around 1978.

Now you get professionals and intellectuals in the stands. You even get ethnicity.

Racing is exciting, contrary to the stereotypical opinion that it is a yawn-fest of cars driving around in circles.

Anyway....I dug yesterday. It was enjoyable. Me and Carol and the cats digging on NASCAR.

Kevin Harvick finished second. Good start to the new season. Joey Logano won the hallowed race.

He is a young guy who never won the race before. That is cool.

I am in two NASCAR pools this year. Gonna clean up. Gonna win retirement money, baby.

One pool I picked with my heart. The other I picked with my head.

Can't lose.

Yeah, I dig racing baby.

The only thing that ruins it is when Justin Bieber's face is on the cover of Rolling Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment