Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A Breath of Fresh Air (So I Will Not Suffocate)

Our society has become limp.

Emasculated by political correctness and muted through fear of offending someone by speaking one's mind.

I am not telling you anything you do not know.

You realize just how deep and just how far this disease has progressed when it affects the NFL.

The NFL is testosterone city. The last bastion of openly macho behavior, even though much of it is posturing.

The NFL has a penalty for taunting. Are you kidding me? Is this kindergarten?

These guys go out every Sunday and beat the crap out of each other physically. The game is supremely intense; you can see it in the players' eyes.

But we don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. Poor sportsmanship and all that.

I caught a segment of a show on the NFL network the other day. They were discussing showing the other guy up.

The general tone was that your intent should not be to show the other guy up; the intent should be to play at the highest level.

Michael Irving spoke up and I loved it.

He said something like: "Are you kidding me? Yes I want to show the other guy up. That's my job. I want to beat him and make him look bad.."

Truth. Truth. He spoke the truth. He said what every football player knows. You want to look good, you want to succeed and you want the other guy to fail.

I'm surprised he hasn't been fired.

Amusing aside: The show consisted of a host along with Marshall Faulk, Deion Sanders and Michael Irving.

In another segment they were discussing Peyton Manning's woes and the pasty faced white guy commentator said: "I'm not comparing Peyton Manning to Tim Tebow but..............." and that is as far as he got.

The other three guys were all over him. Verbally attacking him with a thin veneer of humor veiling a subtext of disbelief, anger and disrespect.

The host lost the show right then and there. The other three would not let up. It was hilarious.

Contempt flowed freely in the way that only former professional athletes can lay into a geeky non-athlete commentator.

It was fun.

Now.....................I gotta go.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment