Monday, October 12, 2015

The state of The United States

On October 9th, a deranged piece of shit opened fire in Roseburg, Oregon, on the campus of Umpqua Community College, and killed nine people.

I reported to HELL ( work) late that day. In fact I did not arrive until 2:30.

When I was home in the morning I did not fire up The Idiot Box.

I had a doctor's appointment that morning.

No one - and I mean no one - had any comment about the mass murder. No receptionists, the PA I saw that day - the individual that scheduled the follow up appointment - nothing, nada, void.

I dutifully reported to work like the bug that I am.

No comments from co-workers, no comments from customers.

I had no clue this tragedy had occurred until I was driving home and heard the accounts on The Big Ride radio.

I began thinking about the culture of mass murder in this country. Wondering about the truth that we are the only "civilized" country in the world that has this problem.

Wondering about the magnitude and the depth of this reality.

Do you know - there have been 1,000 mass shootings in the United States since TWENTY CHILDREN  and six adults were massacred at Sandy Hook Elementary School?

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

Sandy Hook should have been the stopping point. Sandy Hook should have been the horror that inspired a mass uprising in this country. An uprising focused on getting a grip on our twisted gun culture resulting in tighter controls on the acquiring of weapons in America.

Didn't happen.

Sixteen of the children massacred at Sandy Hook were six years old. The other four were seven.

Six and seven years old. Six and seven years old.

There is no passion in this country. No compassion. No collective soul. No feeling. No sense of life, what it is all about, what its value is. No intellectual understanding of the preciousness of just fucking being alive.

Not one soul made one comment to me about the killings in Oregon because it has become common place. Because we have allowed it to become common place.

Because we have accepted it.

This would never happen in Italy. In France. In Latin America. They would not allow it to happen. They would not stand for it.

Because those humans live passion. They feel extravagantly, as humans should.

We don't give a shit in America. We are desensitized. We accept corruption, lying, cheating, and stealing as facts of life.

We turn the other cheek.

We accept MASS MURDERS as a fact of the wonderful age that we live in.

I wondered what the hell is going on in this country.

I realized that I am surrounded by people in this country who can accept any gruesome reality, any twisted truth and swallow it whole augmented by the condiment that "this is where we are at now, this is the decadence to which we as a society have sunk."

We are shallow, we are immoral, we are selfish, we are without souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment