Thursday, April 9, 2020

Maka

Maka is stepping up.

She recognized a void and stepped up to fill it.

When Max died that left Lakota as our lone pet. We kicked around the idea of a new cat but were not too serious about it. Until we were leaving the house for mirth and merriment one night.

As we walked out the sliding glass doors and looked back, Lakota was sitting in the middle of the living room staring at us. Immediately broke our hearts. We felt she was lonely. Made the immediate decision to get another cat.

That cat turned out to be Maka.

Now Maka is alone.

For a while after Lakota died we didn't discuss getting another cat at all, but the idea kind of hung in the air. Then recently Carol brought it up. She had been secretly browsing the SPCA website and she showed me a cat she found. The cat was perfect. Described as loving, happy to be around other cats, easy-natured. The cat was adorable.

But as we discussed it it became obvious the conversation was strained. We confronted it head on - do we really want another cat right now? We both admitted we did not.

Maka shows no signs of being lonely. Of course circumstances are bizarre right now and we are both home all day every day. So she gets all the attention and love she deserves. And she gives so much back.

But even before this fucking virus shattered our lives she was not alone a lot. Carol leaves for work at 9:30. I leave at 11:00 (on Mon Tues Wed). Carol gets home at 2:30. Not much of a gap there.

Thurs and Fri I leave at 5:30 but, really, there is still only 5 hours that Maka is alone. Not a bad deal.

Lakota was my sweetheart. She destroyed my bladder. She spent time in the box in the kitchen, she slept under the bed in the spare room, but when she got ready to settle in at night she would curl up on my left thigh and stay there.

I would have to take a piss at 8 o'clock and I would decide to wait until 8:30. Then 8:45. And, if possible, 9 o'clock. I wouldn't get up until it was emergency time. When I was done Lakota would come right back and settle on my thigh for the next sleep/love session.

And we had Maka, who would also curl up in my lap. So I was virtually guaranteed to have at least one cat in my lap at all times.

Maka is more independent. She warms my lap but she gets up five or six times a night. To eat. To drink. And likes to sleep on the footstool and at the end of the couch and sometimes in Carol's lap.

So there are stretches every night with no cat in my lap.

I don't like this. I need it. I have to have someone to give my love to. But it is what it is.

But Maka has a big personality. A gentle, loving personality. She is also insane and funny.

She fills the house with love. We don't feel like we are missing anything.

Me being me, I worry about down the road. We are not sure how old Maka is, but we have had her for 14 years.

When she goes I will have to get at least one other cat. I have to have a living thing to give my love to in a direct and physical way. Cannot survive without it.

Of course there is a possibility we will decide to get another cat while Maka is around.

There are options. Decisions to be made.

Right now Maka is Queen Cat. My little one. the little doll, cutie pie. Those are my nicknames for her.

Lakota was sweetheart and pretty girl.

Maka is doing the job. Bringing the love. Keeping us happy.

She really has stepped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment