Thursday, April 2, 2020

I Could Be Wrong, But I'm Not. No I'm Not.

I am reading a book written by Judd Apatow called "Sick in the Head - Conversations About Life and Comedy".

Apatow has been interviewing comedians for his entire life. He started as a teenager, interviewing people like Jerry Seinfeld, Garry Shandling, Jay Leno. Imagine the balls it takes for a teenager to pull that off?

Anyway I am picking up interesting philosophies and quotes.

Jeff Garlin.

Apatow asks him if it's important to him that his kids are smart. Garlin says: "No. I mean yes, I hope they're smart and self reliant so they can enjoy life - but they'll probably be more miserable if they're smart. If they're stupid, they're going to have a great time. Because really, everything is created for stupid people. Books, movies, TV shows for the most part - they're for stupid people. So, they would be much happier if they were stupid. But I think both my boys are going to be miserable like their father."

Apatow: "So they'll be smart and miserable."

Garlin: "Well, they go hand in hand."

So happens that I believe in this philosophy. I have always believed I am miserable because I am smart. That's why I hate phony optimism and suck it up philosophies. If you run around with a perpetual smile on your face I am a more honest person than you will ever be.



Jimmy Fallon on being a parent:

"You invented this human, so you're like, I made the best human I can make. This is my Sistine Chapel, and I should be able to appreciate this."

Another philosophy I agree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment