Saturday, January 23, 2021

A Gift of Life

I am sitting in the parking garage at 7:00 am on Thursday morning.

Working my way through the last 15 minutes of dignity I will have that day before I crawl out of my car and begin the death march to my desk.

I see a kid skateboard into the lower level of the garage and do that "step on the back end so he can grab the front end of the skateboard in his hand" thing. You know, the dismount. He disappears into the stairwell. I didn't think anything about it.

The garage has four levels. I was parked on level 2.

Minutes later I notice motion on level three, which I can see in front and above me from where I am parked.

I realize it is the kid skateboarding down through the garage as serene as could be. Arms down by his sides, standing straight up on the board, in complete control of the ride. Master of his domain.

The garage is very quiet at that time of day.

He took the corner, skated right behind my car and continued down to the lower level.

I was ecstatic. 

The kid found a perfect spot where he could do what he loves to do. In peace and solitude. He found a way to be perfectly him.

I was thinking to myself: "hold on to that attitude kid. Don't ever let the bastards get you down. They will try to break you, conform you, control you and stamp out your individuality. Don't let them get away with it. Feed your spirit until it grows so strong the world can't touch it."

I was smiling. I never smile at 7:00 am in that parking garage.

The kid gave me a moment.

You never know where they will come from, but if an unexpected smile creases your lips you better appreciate it for what it is.

A gift.

A gift of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment